â–º Listen Live

â–º Listen Live

â–º Listen Live

HomeNewsWilliams LakeWilliams Lake log house building school robbed of chainsaws, boots, and more

Williams Lake log house building school robbed of chainsaws, boots, and more

A Williams Lake log home instructor and his students were robbed last night (October 9).

Thursday, October 10, saw a dark day for Beat Schwaller, owner of UnBEATable Log Construction School, and his students. Arriving on site and finding out that thousands of dollars of equipment had been stolen. The stolen items included seven Husqvarna chainsaws, two Dewalt cordless drills, 12 five-amp batteries and one 60-amp battery, two hard hats, two boots that belonged to Schwaller’s students, and one tool belt.

“I’m probably missing close to $30,000,” Schwaller says. “They stole work boots from my guys that they brought over from Europe and that they need to complete this course. This is bothering me almost more than my own stuff. I wanted them to have a great experience over here, and this definitely puts a low blow in it.”

At the time of writing; Schwaller says that Williams Lake RCMP has been notified.

“I’m just very disappointed at what’s going on in this community as far as crime goes,” Schwaller continues. “I know it’s not the cops. It’s the court system. I don’t understand how this can continue like this, people just get away with it.”

The Log House school offers a four-week course to students from all across the world. This year, Schwaller has six students from Switzerland, joining two students from Alberta, and one from Williams Lake.

Despite all of this, Schwaller says that the community of Williams Lake has been supportive and helpful. A neighbour has given him footage captured from their security camera. Others have offered their own equipment for the students to use to finish their last two days of the course.

“I have posted about it on Facebook, and I have to say, this community… there is some very good people here. They help out. It’s been unbelievable how many people reached out and offered to help.”

The camera footage shows two figures on mountain bikes pedaling around and cutting fences. Schwaller says that he could see tire tracks leading up to the tool trailer where the equiment was stolen.

Something going on in the Cariboo you think people should know about?
Send us a news tip by emailing [email protected].