â–º Listen Live

â–º Listen Live

â–º Listen Live

HomeNews100 Mile HouseThompson Rivers University utilizes mobile lab to improve nursing program

Thompson Rivers University utilizes mobile lab to improve nursing program

Nursing students attending Thompson Rivers University will have better access to a simulation lab.

The nursing’s mobile simulation lab, which had been in the works for a couple years, will look to improve the education for those unable to travel to attend the Williams Lake or Kamloops labs.

Dr. Tracy Hoot says they tried alternatives for students away from campus, but ran into challenges.

“In the past, we were able to negotiate and have conversations with the hospital in 100 Mile House and we held a lab there, but it’s challenging to do that at times, because you need to have empty beds to be able to hold a lab.” says Dr. Hoot

“The mobile unit will be very helpful in trying to meet some of the student needs.”

Dr. Hoot says a number of students had been unable to complete the program due to the lab component, and they hope the mobile lab will increase the number of graduates.

Out of the total amount of students that couldn’t complete the program, 70 percent said it was due to travel being a hardship.

While the original intent was for the Health Care Assistance program, the mobile lab will serve more than one purpose.

Dr. Hoot says there’s a need for their Nurse Practitioner Program and their Return to Registered Nurse program, with a number of students being from Vancouver who would need to travel to Kamloops.

If there are enough students, they would be able to go to them with the lab.

She noted having access to a lab so students can finish a program will definitely increase the number of health professionals in that community.

Something going on in the Cariboo you think people should know about?
Send us a news tip by emailing [email protected].

- Advertisement -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading

More